Monday, October 13, 2008

Marathon Man...

Last March, a friend from our ward invited Jose to run the Wasatch Back Relay. This was a race on a team of 12 men and women who ran 180 miles from Logan to Park City over a 24 hour period. Jose's portion of the race was about 17 miles divided into 3 parts. After training for the Wasatch Back, Jose decided to run the Provo Half-marathon, then he decided he was running the
Top of Utah Marathon...


This is at about mile 18.5 where Nikki and I first caught up with Jose after finishing our 5K. We then leapfrogged ahead to cheer him on at 19.5, 21, 22, and 25 before finally catching him at the finish line. Alex had a football game this morning, so my mom came up and stayed with Sofia and Alex so he wouldn't have to miss out on his game. Thanks Mom!


Jose's official time was 4 hours, 34 minutes, and 17 seconds.

HOORAY for Jose!!!





Jose wanted Nikki to run the Top of Utah 5K (run on the last 3 miles of the marathon course the same morning), but she was nervous to do it alone. So I told her that I'd walk the 5K with her. We had a fun time doing it together.

Now that the marathon is over, Jose has signed up for another... He'll be running the Ogden Marathon in May (along with the Wasatch Back again next June, and the Ragnar del Sol - another Wasatch Back type relay in Arizona - in February). Go Jose!



Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

april said...

way to go, jose!!! congrats!! when was this marathon? shirlene wade ran a marthon around sept. 20th; i thought it was called the top of utah marathon. did you see her?

Stiles Family-mostly Kristen said...

Great job Jose! Ron knows what you went through! The 20th mile is always a killer.

Weeks said...

Yep! That guy, that guy right there, he's my brother, yep! He's my brother! I'm cool, cause he's cool, yep! He's cool.

Jenn Knight said...

What??? When I saw you guys in June, I thought Jose said said he wasn't going to do a marathon! Wow! Way to go, Jose. Future Ultra-marathoner. As soon as I get this baby out of me, I'm going to start training, too, so tell Jose to save some steam to run something with me in the Fall of '09, maybe? Maybe we can do the Boston Marathon one of these days? You in, Jolynne?

Shirlene said...

Hey, Jose! I ran the top of Utah last month as well. I wish I would have known you were there. You were faster than I was. I did it in 4:52. Sounds like you have definitely caught the running bug! Good luck with all your runs. You and Jolynn are welcome back to Manchester any time!

Shirlene said...

I almost forgot...my brother ran the Wasatch Back as well. My 4 brothers ran the marathon with me (well, they were running the same race...only one actually ran and finished with me)...It's a small world.